Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blue Moooooooooon

Weekend posts call for booze! Haha.

What to do with an 'extra' delicious, citrusy, Blue Moon beer?

Make cupcakes of course!!



Aren't they so cute?!
These cupcakes turned out great - the carbonation keeps them SO light and fluffy, plus, they have a nice hint of the citrus and wheat from the beer.



Thanks to Miss Make for the recipe, which I found on Pinterest.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe with instructions on her blog.

I actually was too chicken to make a frosting with egg whites, so I used this Orange Buttercream Frosting Recipe instead, from Real Mom Kitchen's blog.

Has anyone ever made the egg white frosting? I'm afraid of, like, salmonella or something!

But, either way, you MUST make these cupcakes! Yum!

I thought I'd also share my tip for frosting cupcakes with a piping bag.
One of my friends recently Pinned this tip on Pinterest, but I have actually been using it for awhile now, so I wanted to make sure you knew about it, too!!

Now, you can totally use a plastic zip top bag as a piping bag, but I have bad luck with them busting a hole in them, so I buy these great disposable (Sorry, Mother Earth, these bags are SO are to clean and re-use, with the greasy butter frosting residue) piping bags in the baking section of Michael's, and they work great. I also have 4 or 5 metal piping tips I got from that same aisle.
I used a medium round tip for these cupcakes.

Sorry, on to the TIP!
I take a tall drinking glass, and stick the piping bag, tip first, down in it, folding the top edges over the rim of the glass.
Then, you can easily spoon the frosting into the bag, without making a globby mess all over the counter!




Speaking of Blue Moon, I went to the store looking for the Seasonal Pumpkin Ale variation of the beer, and found this intriguing variety pack I had to try! I'm a sucker for a variety pack.


After sampling all four beers...see how dedicated I am?...I can write my review!
I really love the Belgian-Style Pale Ale, similar to a Hefeweizen or something, but the Pumpkin is a little too odd for me.  I'd like to try the other brands of Pumpkin Ale, though, to give the seasonal treat a fair chance. After all, have you HEARD how obsessed with pumpkin I am?!?!
The Caramel Apple was what really sold me on this pack.  I was picturing hard apple cider, but with fall spices or something. It has a hint of caramel sweetness, but it is very similar to the Pumpkin, in that it is a bit strange to me. Bummer!

I AM considering making a spiced cupcake with one of these seasonal beers, though! Perhaps with a pumpkin spice or cinnamon frosting. I think that'd be great!

I'd like to give a shout out to my good friend Jacqueline over at Bake It With Booze, who recently featured my blog on her site! She has some amazing looking Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Buttered Rum Frosting you have got to check out! I'd like to try these with this pumpkin beer in the cupcake batter, too!
I also keep meaning to try and make her Beer Bread recipe, too!

Cheers!
So There.



Now linking here!

AddThis