Wednesday, October 3, 2012

All Dressed Up


I found this adorable idea from a blog, and started making these baby onesies as baby shower gifts for a couple friends!



After my love / hate relationship thus far with my sewing machine skills, I was glad to find these were made using only an iron-on fusible webbing material to attach the fabric to the onesie.  The tutorial I used does go on to sew around the ironed-on tie, creating a true applique. I skipped this (re: said love / hate relationship), and my friends I have given these to, have said these lasted through several washing machine cycles with only the iron-on fusing. Whew.

Get some cute fabric and your iron ready...

This blog, Crap I've Made - Tie Onesie Tutorial, gives all the details perfectly. It even includes a PDF template to print and use to cut out the tie shapes from the fabric/webbing.

The webbing was found at JoAnns fabric store, and sheets can be cut into any shape. This pack of 5 sheets was $4; very reasonable.
Lite Steam-a-Seam 2: Double Stick Fusible Web Sheets

Using this method is a very simple way to 'applique' any shape onto clothing, tote bags, and more!
Fuse your heart out!

So there.

AddThis