Thursday, March 24, 2011

Home Cookin'

(this photo is a sham, I forgot to take a picture of the actual meatloaf. So There.)

Last time I made meatloaf, I used ground turkey and added shredded carrots and other veggies, and put them into cute little  (I had already lost Joe at "cute".......) muffin pans, so we had individual, healthy meatloaf servings. Well, this was not the "meatloaf" Joe was expecting that his mom used to make. Albeit, they were really very delicious!!
So, this time I went traditional. I googled "recipe mom's meatloaf" and found exactly that.

He likes it served with white rice, instead of mashed potatoes, and A1 steak sauce, instead of ketchup or bbq sauce. So rice and A1 is what I did! 
This recipe is SO EASY, so that was nice...and I left it simple - restrained from adding additional spices (or vegetables.....). sigh.

It turned out very well - a success! Proven by us eating the leftovers the very next night for dinner! Also proven by the fact that I RARELY eat beef, and I liked it.

I think next time I'd add a bit less milk and cook it for longer, as it was so moist it pretty much fell apart when I sliced the middle sections. But still tasted great.

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup Saltine cracker crumbs (I pulsed these in the food processor)
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (also pulverized in the food processor)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together gently. Form into a loaf and place in baking dish or loaf pan. Top with more ketchup if desired. (Here I topped it with half ketchup, half A1 sauce about 30 minutes into the cooking) Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.
Serves 4.

Mom's Meatloaf. Check!  So there.

AddThis